Thursday, April 2, 2009

"Dinner for Two"

Cooking is one of the things I really enjoy! To find a recipe with a contrast of texture and flavor is so delightful and then the nuance of what herbs can bring to a dish is, ummmmm....... yummy! Rodney and I had a very busy and productive day with our photography business so I was really looking forward to preparing a nice meal for us to enjoy as we unwind. Rod is so good about trying different recipes and never, ever complains, but I do read him well enough to know when he really does like a dish or not. This happens to be one of our favorites, Tangy Cherry Chicken.
We finished off the meal with a "light" dark chocolate pudding topped with whip and walnuts; nice finish to a nice dinner. What an enjoyable end to a wonderful day....


Below is the recipe, wish I new where the original came from to give credit. Our daughter shared the recipe with me and I have shared it with many friends.... so easy and so tasty; enjoy!


Tangy Cherry Chicken
3 TBS EVOO
4-6 oz. boneless chicken breast halves
1 TBS fresh thyme
sea salt and fresh ground pepper
1 small red onion chopped
2 celery ribs, finely chopped
1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg (optional)
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 cup chicken stock
1/2 dried cherries
3 TBS cold butter

Preheat a large skillet over medium high heat with 2 tbs of EVOO. Season the chicken liberally with half of the thyme and salt and pepper; add to hot skillet. Cook the chicken for 5-6 minutes on each side until cooked through. Remove the chicken and cover with foil to keep warm.

Return the skillet to the burner over medium high heat, add the remaining tbs of EVOO and add the onions, celery, red pepper, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Cook 3-4 minutes or until the celery and onions are tender. Add the white wine and cook until the pan is almost dry (1 minute). Add the chicken stock, dried cherries and remaining thyme. Continue to cook for about 4-5 minutes or until there is only about 1.4 cups of liquid left in the pan. Turn the heat off under the pan. Add the butter and whisk until it has completely melted.

Serve the chicken breasts whole or sliced with the cherry sauce poured over them.

This recipe is great with brown or jasmine rice, asparagus, green beans or broccoli, and of course, a nice glass of wine!

"One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating." ~Luciano Pavarotti and William Wright, Pavarotti, My Own Story



2 comments:

  1. Rachel Ray...I believe. The "EVOO" is kind of her signature :-)

    MAN, where was my invite? I'm kidding. I will, however, borrow (??) some cherries from you this morning so I can make it tonight. Now I'm craving it!

    Glad ya'll nice night to unwind...it HAS been a busy week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds really delicious !!! will defnitely give it a try !!! can't wait to have fresh cherries straight from the garden tree ...

    I have a cherry crumble recipe, my husband just - can't- stop begging for ...

    ReplyDelete